Department: Children & Families | Supervisory Responsibility: No | Reports to: Family Services Coordinator | Salary: $32,000-$40,000 annually
Function: To implement strengths-based and family-centered/family-led family engagement and family support services and programming.
Qualifications: Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, or Human Services field with at least three (3) years of progressive experience working with economically disadvantaged families.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage families through the establishment of a trusting relationship with assigned families by providing meaningful and consistent client contact as specified in the HS/EHS Policies and Procedures.
- Assist families with the development and ongoing implementation of a family-led Family Partnership Agreement with goals, objectives, and activities to meet the individual family’s needs.
- Maintain documented evidence that assigned families are moving toward self-sufficiency.
- Be knowledgeable of and utilize community resources. Serve as a liaison between families and other community agencies advocating for parents as needed, and ensure each family is provided information regarding community resources so that they may seek services on their own behalf.
- Provide or arrange for transportation for families as needed to and from medical and/or social services appointments, center functions, outings, social events, and employment.
- Assist with providing families a variety of trainings, educational, and literacy opportunities in cooperation with other agency staff and community organizations to strengthen their knowledge of child development and employability.
- Work collaboratively with Center Directors to ensure that center programming meets the needs of children and families (when applicable).
- Apply working knowledge of parent-child interaction, child development, and the dynamics of child abuse and neglect to help clients improve parenting skills, reduce family stress, and meet dependency needs of parents. Assist parents in developing problem-solving and coping skills by providing supportive counseling and/or referring them to appropriate community agencies.
- Assist health staff in assuring all assigned children have up-to-date medical information and assist parents in strengthening their knowledge of health and nutrition.
- Assist in the recruitment and enrollment of eligible children and families in WAGES Head Start/Early Head Start.
- Be knowledgeable and utilize WAGES Policies and Procedures, Work Plan, and the Head Start Program Performance Standards.
- Inform supervisor immediately of circumstances which may require that a client be referred to Child Protective Services because of “imminent” or “threatened” harm, abuse, or neglect.
- Plan, develop, and participate in all special events, groups, and activities that are initiated by the Children and Families division.
- Record and maintain written record of professional activities, client observations, and activities as required. Submit all reports in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that each Master File is current and up-to-date including documented family contacts.
- Attend staff development opportunities and obtain additional training as recommended by supervisor throughout the program year.
- Comply with all WAGES personnel policies.
- Work cooperatively with agency staff, parents, volunteers, and the community to foster coordinated and integrated program operations.
- Support and interpret WAGES mission, programs, objectives, concepts, and goals.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor or Family and Mental Health Services Manager.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to provide empathic services.
- Ability to relate to families served, good problem-solving skills.
- Willingness and comfort in providing home visitation services.
- Valid driver’s license.
Physical, Mental, and/or Visual Demands:
- Must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time throughout the day.
- Must be able to lift up to 35 lbs.
- Must be able to bend and stoop.
- Must be able to walk extended periods throughout the day for monitoring.
- Mental and visual concentration required for preparing and analyzing data using a computer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org